Thursday 29 August 2013

The Maternal Instinct Bunkum


I must be a bad mother.

I have had a baby inside/outside of me for 20 months now.  But am yet to feel those sweeping insurmountable surges of love for my son every now and then. Am yet to know instinctively how to tackle his painful bouts of constipation, disturbed sleep, fluid intake level, introduction to solids and other such countless decisions that are best left to a mother’s instinct.

But I am not a bad mother. I know that now.

I have stood by and let my life be turned upside down in unimaginable ways. I have endured, mostly smilingly, the sheer monotony of being with a small baby day in day out without a single night away, without a single night of uninterrupted sleep. His smallest discomfort agitates me till I can make it go away. I have made those countless decisions for him based on tiresome iterations, research, networking and doc consultations, no thanks to an elusive father and the even more elusive instinct.  I have seen the dynamic of my marriage change oh-so-quietly in a way that makes me uncomfortable.

And yet.

Life without him is no longer an option. He is a part of me. He smiles and everything seems a bit brighter. He poops, and my body feels a bit lighter.

I have consciously taken up the responsibility of bringing him into this world. And I will play my role well.

But don’t try to con me with the maternal instincts bullshit. It’s just a term this male dominated society has coined.  To keep women feeling perpetually guilty and striving harder to be that perfect mother who does not and cannot exist.

I have waited patiently for my maternal instincts to surface. They haven’t come knocking yet. I am no longer expecting the doorbell.

No comments:

Post a Comment