Thursday 9 October 2014

A picture is worth a thousand words. And 20,000 pictures?

Our kids generation is going to be the most heavily photographed one. Its mind boggling sometimes. The amount of energy we devote to clicking them, sorting through the pictures, sharing the 10 amongst 1000 clicked on various social media, online and offline family albums, tracking likes/comments.

My father enjoyed photography and bought a Mamia camera back in the late 70’s. Thanks to his love for the camera, we were lucky to have few albums of our early years.  I always thought my Dad was surprisingly missing from most pictures. I now know that he was on the other side of the lens.

The story repeats 32 years down the line. My son will find his mother missing in most pictures. It might take him another 30 years to realize she was behind the lens.

In the frenzy of all this clicking, I am beginning to get somewhat dis enchanted with pictures though. They seem to hide as much, sometimes more, as they reveal. They seem to create a delusion that all was good “back then”.  They perpetuate nostalgia.

Will my son think of his first birthday being only about cake, candles, lots of smiles, beautiful resort and, tuk-tuk ride?  When it’s his 17th birthday and he is feeling crappy for some reason, will these pictures make him feel worse?


What if we gave our children a thousand words instead of a 1000 pictures for each birthday? Telling them how we felt at that time. About them growing up, our journey as a parent, our highs but also our lows. Along with a few pictures, maybe that’ll be a bigger treasure for them? I am sure it would have been for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment