Friday 14 November 2014

The Girl at Lumpini Park: Aerobics

Outwardly, she is a skinny Thai girl, just about 5 feet tall. Pretty much unremarkable in physical appearance. That is, until she comes alive every evening at 1720 at the Lumpini Park in Bangkok, one of the 6 leaders at the free street aerobics.

She is fast, she is strong, she is sporty, she is fun, she is unstoppable. I don’t think there is a moment in those 30 mins that both her heels rest simultaneously.

I always try to find a spot so that I can follow her lead. After several sessions, I start noticing that I am not alone in her fan club. Yet, she gives me a smile every time and seems to be encouraging me when I am faltering with my rhythm. In her own unique way.

Her movements are contagious. You can’t help but want to join in. To do it well. To do it better each time. To get into the rhythm and then get lost in it.

I don’t even know her name. I don’t even feel the need to.


No comments:

Post a Comment