Sunday 25 January 2015

Get well soon

Setting: Our favourite Mexican restaurant. Husband, son and I enjoying our food at our table. A group of 2 guys and 2 girls in their thirties enjoying at theirs. 

My son decides to start kicking me under the table for no reason. I ask him to stop. No luck. I pinch his leg to let him know he really has to stop. He is taken back. Decides to throw a bout of crying to register this affront to his dignity.

The guy at the adjoining table turns to face him and aggressively makes a shooing gesture and sound at him. Husband takes son out to pacify him.

The guy starts sharing a new policy by Singapore Airlines (?) where you can buy a special ticket that ensures there will be no kids seated in your vicinity. The merriment at their table continues.

I am seething with fury. What gives this guy the right to be aggressive with my 2 year old ? I want to retaliate.

First thought - "F*** YOU"

Second thought - to the 2 girls at the table seated with him  - "you don't want him to be the father of your child"

Third thought - "F*** YOU"

Fourth thought - "Wish you good luck being a Dad"

Husband and son have returned. Son is back to being his happy self. Seeing him smiling and happy, I no longer want to make an aggressive comeback at the guy. But I can't let it pass either.

We settle our bill. Husband and son walk out as I am taking the last couple of sips from my drink.

I collect our bags. Walk up to the other table. Lean over to the guy and say -

"I wish you a speedy recovery. Get well soon."

Dumbfounded expressions at the table. I walk out with the pleasure of a job well done.



p.s. thankyou Munnabhai :)

No comments:

Post a Comment