Monday 12 January 2015

Meditating by a Fish Pond

Something pulled me to that small fish pond. Made me sit down and look closer.

At first I saw the big fish. I noticed how smoothly they swam, barely using their fins, gliding through water with the slightest swish of their tails. Then I saw the tiny fish. How some of them seemed to be tailing mama/dada fish.

Then I noticed how clear the water was, how rare this opportunity to be able to see fish to clearly and closely. Then I saw the thick bushes of tall grass underwater. All of a sudden there appeared a big frog, wading through those bushes. But hey ! how come this frog had six legs, four big and two tiny ? Oh no ! It was a baby frog riding horseback on mama frog. Holding on to her shoulders with his front legs and using the rear ones to practice swimming. They would surface up, eyes darting out of water and then dive back into the grass bushes below. And repeat, in their own slow rhythm.

Then I saw the pink dragonflies. Two of them, engaged in their own dance around a plant growing out of the pond. Then the two dragonflies became five. Some time passed and I felt the dragonflies approach me. Two of them came close and circled me, hovering close enough to inspect me closely and then going back to their business.

Then I noticed a slender and long yellow insect which seemed to hanging out with the dragonflies.

Then I noticed the ripples in the pond and saw that they were being caused by a trickle of water dropping at the one edge of the pond from far above.

Then I heard the wind chimes. They were melodious and loud. Surprising that I had only just heard them.

I felt my eyelids drooping, they seemed too heavy all of a sudden. Then I noticed how tired I really was.

Then I realized that this was meditation. Being present in the moment, at one with your surroundings and with yourself.

I went back after two days and all I could see were a few ordinary fish. No trace of the dragonflies, yellow insect, baby-mama frog, small fish, chimes, trickle of water. Maybe if I had sat down by the pond side without expectations, they would have all come back with some more friends in tow.

No comments:

Post a Comment